Pratts was a trading name of the Anglo American Oil Company which became known as
Esso in 1936. Pratts Ramsgate depot was in Lorne Road, from where a lot of the petrol
was supplied in two-
Pictured above is one of the carts that operated out of Lorne Road. The picture was taken outside the water tower in Southwood Road. The driver is Alf Miller.
Pratts had a filling plant at their Sandwich depot (above) where all empty cans had their tops repainted and new leather washers inserted into the brass screw caps before being refilled. The smaller depots, including Ramsgate, were closed around 1936. In this picture is Alf Miller with his driver’s mate Sid Finch.